Pyhäjoki church

The modern church of Pyhäjoki was completed in 1977. The church was designed by architect office Karvala & Silvennoinen. The wall of the bright church hall is decorated by sculptor Kari Juva's tile relief "Kymmenen neitsyttä" (‘Ten Virgins’).

The church is the third built in Pyhäjoki: The first church was built already in the 16th century. The candle chandeliers and the baptismal font dating back to that time decorate the present church of Pyhäjoki. Built in 1736 within the first church, the bell tower designed by Simon Knup still serves the parishioners. The second church of Pyhäjoki was a large 1200-seat empirical cruciform church drawn by C.L. Engel, and it was completed in 1844. The fire that broke out of a lightning destroyed this magnificent building in the midsummer night of 1974.

A traditional pauper statue stands under the canopy of the present church, which was rescued from the doorpost of the burnt church. Soldier Kalle Närki sculpted the pauper statue in 1855.

The Old Cemetery of Pyhäjoki and its extension are located by the churchyard. Another cemetery is located along Vihannintie road.

Pyhäjoki Church

Vanhatie 27, 86100 Pyhäjoki